Fabric shades, curtains, and draperies are available in hundreds of fabric choices and styles. At Joplin decorating center we offer tons of amazing window treatments for your home. Some fabrics require minimal care while others, like embroidered or brocade patterns with layers and linings, can require a bit more consideration or maybe even professional cleaning. How you should clean and care for your window coverings depends on the style of the treatment and the composition of the fabric. You might be able to find a good professional cleaner that specializes in things like this for a reasonable price, but sometimes it’s easier and quicker to do it yourself.
Taking Care of Window Treatments
An important factor to any fabulous window is consistent upkeep, make sure dust and grime never get the upper hand to keep your fabric shades, curtains and drapes looking vibrant and fresh. As a start, here are some general guidelines for any type of fabric window treatment:
- Dust or vacuum both sides of the shade or drape.
- Pay close attention to the top of curtains and drapes as creases and pleats collect more dust; this includes valances, cornices, swags, cascades, etc.
- After cleaning, check for any damage, such as loose or broken string loops, torn stitching, or drooping hems, and make any repairs.
- Immediately spot clean any soiled areas on shades and drapes.
- Do not use strong detergents or spot removers as they can fade the color and weaken fibers.
Experts agree to disagree on how to best maintain drapery. Some recommend dry cleaning. However, the exotic and luscious fabrics that make up many custom drapery treatments can shrink if dry cleaned. Regular and careful vacuuming is usually sufficient to keep draperies in beautiful condition.
- Pay close attention to the top of the drapery, front and back, since dust and dirt tend to settle in the pleats and gathers.
- If curtain fabric is washable, follow manufacturer’s care instructions or use cool water, gentle cycle with Woolite and hang to dry; iron while still damp. If drapery is lined, be sure both face fabric and lining are washable.
- If the curtains aren’t difficult to detach, you can take them outside and shake them for a good dusting.
Our Selection of Window Treatments
We here at Joplin Decorating Center have access to tons of window treatments that we can order in for you! From shades to drapes to curtains we can find a style and functionality that works best for your home.
Get in touch with us today if you have questions about our window treatments or would like to order some for your home. You can contact us through the contact form on our website.